Prisca A. Diala, M.D.
- Medical Retina
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Macular Degeneration
Medical Retina Specialist
Dr. Prisca Diala is a medical retina specialist at Chesapeake Eye Care and Laser Center. A Harvard-trained specialist in retinal and macular diseases and board-certified ophthalmologist, Dr. Diala joined the practice in 2012. She offers her patients the latest combination of diagnostic imaging, laser and injection therapy to treat various retinal disorders, including macular degeneration, diabetes and retinal vein occlusions. Her deep commitment to providing patients with high-quality, cutting-edge eye care has brought her numerous awards and accolades throughout her career.
After receiving her bachelor’s degree, magna cum laude, from Seton Hall University, Dr. Diala earned her medical degree at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. While completing residency at Howard University Hospital, where she served as chief resident during her final year, she received an award for Distinguished Excellence in Ophthalmic Knowledge. In addition to receiving several awards for her research endeavors, she attained highest honors by winning first place at the National Medical Association’s Annual Rabb-Venable Research Competition. As a result, she received a travel grant award to attend an Association for Research and Vision in Ophthalmology symposium to present her findings.
During her fellowship at the Beetham Eye Institute/Joslin Diabetes Center of Harvard Medical School, Dr. Diala received a second invitation from the Association for Research and Vision in Ophthalmology to give an oral presentation on her research at Harvard at their national convention.
Dr. Diala enjoys community service efforts and has traveled to Haiti for medical missions where she has provided medical and surgical eye care to hundreds of Haitians. As a patient advocate, she and her colleagues have visited with legislators on Capitol Hill to discuss major issues affecting the field of ophthalmology and patient care. She has professional affiliations with the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the National Medical Association and the American Society of Retina Specialists.
- Harvard Medical School, Beetham Eye Institute/Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, MA, Medical Retina
Fellowship, 2010 - 2011
- Howard University Hospital, Washington, DC, Ophthalmology Residency, Chief Resident, 2006 - 2009
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, Piscataway, NJ, Preliminary Internship – Internal Medicine,
2005 - 2006
- Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ, M.D., 2005
- Seton Hall University, South Orange, NJ, B.S. in Biology/Pre-Med, magna cum laude, 2001
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- National Medical Association
HONORS & AWARDS
- America's Top Ophthalmologist, Consumer's Research Council of America, 2014
- Alpha Epsilon Delta member (Pre-Medical Honors Society)
- Homeless and Indigent Population Health Outreach Award